Monday, June 2, 2008

My wife and I went to the Massachusetts farm this weekend for Kenya's going away party. While we were there we checked on my truffles and found this killdeer family. When we first saw them the babies were still wet. My brother went back several hours later and took these two pictures:



















Killdeer love farms. Every summer we have at least a dozen pairs on a nest at any given time. They lay eggs throughout the late spring and early summer. One of the nice things about working on a farm is the opportunity to observe wildlife at a fairly close range. Because I spend so much time out of doors I see many rare animals and birds, and because they don't seem to recognise a person in a tractor as a person I can watch them for surprisingly long times.

No comments: